Joshua is at the age now where he LOVES to help cook. Dan and I will announce loudly
"Where's my BBIIGGGGG HELPER?"
And Joshua will squeal with delight and come running to the kitchen saying
"Here I am!!"
Today was no exception!! We decoded to give some 'on the go' bars a try. Joshua was SO excited to get in the kitchen and help me out!! It is so much fun. Check it out! (This recipe came from OAMM (Once a month mom)
Joshua loved every min of it!! We altered the recipe (below) slightly (changes in blue) but I think they turned out delicious-however neither of my kids would eat them :( I think next time we are going to add Maple Syrup instead of the agave to make them a bit sweeter and use almond milk instead of cow's milk (these tasted like regular/plain oatmeal and my kids usually have something more added to theirs). Anyways, hope you enjoy!
Oatmeal On-the-Go Bars (Makes 18 Bars)2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
Pinch of Salt
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Cup Milk (any kind of milk — rice, almond, soy, cow’s — will work) (used cow's milk)
3 Tbsp Agave (used 3 Tbsp of honey)
1/2 Cup Applesauce
1 Large Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla
3/4 Cup Dried Fruit (Cranberries, Raisins, Blueberries, and/or Cherries) (used raisins)
1/2 Cup Nuts (Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds, and/or Pepitas) (I did not add any nuts)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Mix the milk, applesauce, egg, agave, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, stir to combine and then stir in the dried fruits and nuts.
5. Pour the oatmeal mixture into a buttered or greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until thickened and golden.
7. Cool, cut into squares and serve.
*Allow to cool, cut into squares and place in a ziploc bag to freeze up to 4 months. When ready, allow to defrost in fridge for 24-48 hours.
*Refrigerating the bars will make them last up to 5 days.